Sunday, September 8, 2013

My Dad

Sometimes, you just have to look back on your life and realize that it's not going to happen again. Your life seems to get faster and you have to make the most of every opportunity.

Sometimes, you just don't get what you want most in life.

And sometimes, you have what you want, but you don't know it.

Last night, after my football team's first victory, I celebrated with some friends. We had a fire and roasted marshmallows in the back yard. Late into the night, I walked them home.

As we were walking, they asked me questions about my adoption. Not uncommon. I was glad to share my history with them. But then they asked me a question that I didn't have an answer for.

"Isaiah, do you ever miss your birth dad?"

I didn't answer right away. But they waited patiently, so I felt that I should give them an answer.

"I never knew my birth dad; he left before I was born." I replied.

We walked in silence after that until we got to their house. Before they turned to go into their house, I quickly added, "To answer your question, every child fantasizes about their parents being something they're not. I don't miss my birth dad. I'm happy with the one I have."

I walked away with my hands in my pockets after they thanked me for walking them home.

I had a lot of time to think.

My answer kept echoing in my head, "I'm happy with the one I have."

If that is true, why do I treat him like I don't want him?

In the back of my head, I know the answer. Because he loves me as if I were his own. As if he were my birth dad. And he would risk his life for me.

And it hurts to know that my own birth dad couldn't do the same. But I'm tired of comparing them.

By birth dad was a jerk. It takes no fantasy to see that. He's just my father. He's not my dad.

My dad. Now there's a man I could live with forever. I act like I hate him, when the truth is, I love him.

He's always there for me when I need him the most.

I love my dad. I always have. He's the opportunity in life that I've missed. I want it back. Now I know it's true, that sometimes you have what you want most in life.

But you just don't know it.

And for once, you have to be glad--to look back on your live and realize that it's not going to happen again.



© 2013 Isaiah P. Henn, all rights reserved. 
 Copyright notice: All content, including writings, artwork, photographs, or videos, posted on this blog is original to Isaiah Henn and the HennHouse unless otherwise stated and may not be reproduced without permission.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! By posting content to this blog, you agree to transfer copyright of your comments to the blog owner.